Print

Print this year was, I suppose, as frustrating as last year! But I think got more out of it and managed, eventually, to better use the techniques to suit what I wanted to do and feel that I’ve learnt things that I could benefit my studio practice.

First of all I looked again at some of the more traditional techniques we had looked at the year before. I find using the metal plates a little inhibiting – the process seems long, the materials are harder to get, and the end result, in my case anyway, seems almost completely unpredictable and such an anti climax. Still, in spite of feeling like this I’m actually a reasonably optimistic person so I had a go…

This was in no way linked to any studio practice. It was really just mark making and seeing what happened. The plate is more interesting than the print.

IMG_7978

IMG_7973I tried to get a proper idea of what was going on by using one plate, taping it in sections and exposing these sections to the acid for different times. There are a couple of vague lines but considering the shortest exposure time was 2 minutes and the longest was 8 or 10 minutes I thought the difference might be a bit more apparent. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. While this obviously wouldn’t have resulted in an actual image of anything I actually quite like the print anyway…

IMG_7980

An easier less committing option was to use cardboard as a printing plate. I found this was a quicker (and more successful) way of getting what I wanted. The final printing process is the same – either working the ink into the etched/scored lines and wiping away the excess to print the line or roll the ink onto just the raised surface so the final print showed the scored lines in white. The first was just an experiment. I used the torn edges of paper stuck to the surface as well as scoring the card to get varying textures.

IMG_7983

Ink rolled onto the surface.

Feeling that this was more successful than the metal plates, I made another cardboard plate using an image from my studio practice at the time which revolved around news media images. I wanted the appearance of a fairly fine line drawing and definitely don’t think I would have manged this with a metal plate.

IMG_7984

print and plate

IMG_7986

print detail

IMG_8002

From another cardboard plate

IMG_8006It’s such a simple technique and I like that these sorts of plates can be easily ready to go without any chemicals or specially preparation then brought in to the print room to print. Another really method of printing we explored was one I was already keen for – photocopying! Again, a really accessible method…

IMG_8018

IMG_8016

IMG_8009

One of the cardboard prints which came out too dark was cut up and arranged for some of the photocopy prints.

Next we were shown how to screen print. Again this involved quite a lot frustration and disappointing results but I actually really enjoyed it, especially when I moved on from trying to print photographed images and instead used text and line drawings. The photographic images (from studio work) I chose never seemed to be workable not having the right ratio of black, white and mid tones. Having to adjust them to fit what was needed I felt like I wasn’t in charge of how the image would eventually look. Also this was another quite long process for me, frustrating in a way that was similar to some of the earlier printing methods we went through.

IMG_7934

IMG_7938

I used someone elses old screen which was sitting around the print room and already had some text on it just to see how screen printing a line drawing and a stencil would look and also to look at layering and colour. I liked the results, especially the coloured line over black text.

IMG_7608

IMG_7609

The line drawings were from newer studio work the at time which explored words and meanings using photos, etymology and drawing alongside each other. Since this work relied on images and text accompanying and responding to each other it seems fitting that using this method – screen  printing – the image and the text have to go through the same process.

IMG_7617

IMG_7624

IMG_7615

I also looked at blending colours a little. This ended up a bit smudgy and messy but I’d to explore colour and further layering with screen printing.

IMG_7621 IMG_7619

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: